With our fifth baby on the way, we're always looking for ways to improve storage, particularly in our current phase of having to store what feels like a bazillion boxes of clothes between children using them.  When I was looking at the existing fitted cupboards in this bedroom, it suddenly occurred to me that there might be extra space above the lower cupboard that wasn't being used. A secret hole!! See what I mean?....


And it turned out I was right! Yeeeah! Free space! One of the things that bothered me about the existing cupboards is the way they were so mismatched. One way up high and the other mid-height. Odd. This extra secret space gave us some leeway to be able to even the whole space out.

We altered the cupboard plans to include another double cupboard above the existing lower space, and fiddled about with heights to bring both sets of doors to the same height.


The next step was working out how to bring in period details again. 
{These were NOT the original cupboard doors so no guilt about ripping them out.}

Four words: 
architraves, 
cupboard style,
handles, 
hinges...

{Okay, that's five but read on to see what I mean...}


We changed the architrave surrounding the cupboards to match the main door to the room.


I love Shaker style cupboard doors, and chose beading to compliment the beading on the main door (more on that to come!!). 


The handles are now chunky, matt-glazed wood. 
Perfect for little dimpled hands!


Rather than using kitchen-cupboard type hinges, which ends up with doors shutting onto the existing frame, I prefer to use hinges that ensure the doors fit within a frame for a more bespoke look. I love these brass hinges with silver detailing. Yum!


See how I've lopped off the bottom of the cupboards from these photos? That's to keep the floor hidden from your all-seeing eyes...
but not for long...

Yup, next up:
 FLOORING !!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top