I had a really wonderful day on Saturday. meeting up with some of my best friends from school, at a super-special wedding. You know the kind of friends I mean: you don't see each other for a year or maybe even two, and then you're together again, and everything is as relaxing and as uplifting as it ever was, and you somehow realise that it'll be the same for the rest of your lives. Yes, Lisa, Jane, Vicky, Susannah, Amanda, Julia, Jen and Jess, I'm talking to YOU! 

And, now, a drum roll, if you please, 
while I reveal the result of our paint vs no-paint quandary. 
We went for...


WARM WAXED WOOD...WOW!!

We were tossed this way and that on the ocean of decision-making 
but the no-paint pathway emerged triumphantly in the end.


Our reasons are thus:
{thus? What an awesome word!}


In my experience, painted furniture doesn't always withstand years of rumbustious playtime. If I choose to paint, I don't want to be redoing it every six months; whereas wood hides a multitude of sins! The knocks and bumps that children's rooms inevitably receive blend far better in wooden furniture.


With its girly Farrow and Ball Middleton Pink Walls, as well as the beautiful Cabbages and Roses Hatley curtains and The White Company bedding, plus other bits and pieces that I'll be sharing shortly, this room has its fill of gorgeous, light-enhancing touches. The warmth that comes from the wooden furniture and the Cotswold stone wall provides the perfect balance.


And the last, and perhaps most important reason that we pumped for the unpainted look, is that this is the furniture that I had when I was a little girl, so I couldn't bear to defile it! I can't tell you how much it fills my heart with joy to see my own daughters fill the drawers with little bits of treasured paper and beaded trinkets, just like I used to!!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top